Commune de Daverdisse

Grand Place 1
6929 HAUT-FAYS

Tél : 061 58 81 95
Fax : 061 58 71 37

Ouverture des bureaux :
(Jours ouvrables)
9h à 12h et de 13h à 16h

 

Log in


Forgot your password?
 

Tourist sites

A jewel of the Haute-Lesse, the municipality is made up of four villages: Haut-Fays, Gembes, Porcheresse and Daverdisse, and is surrounded by forests and meadows and cradled by its rivers and streams.

Discover some of the tourist sites in our villages.

Daverdisse

  • St. Pierre's Church: Neoclassical style (1847). Its recently renovated Passion altarpiece came from the old chapel in the château after the latter was sold in 1831.
  • The Passion altarpiece: It is in the choir of St. Pierre's church in Daverdisse. It can be dated from the last third of the 16th century. Its style belongs to the very end of the period of production in Antwerp of sculpted, polychrome altarpieces which finished around 1570.
  • Mohimont Farm: Privately owned. It dates from the 18th century. Napoleon I's nephew, Pierre Bonaparte, stayed here from 1834 to 1848 while in exile. It has an ice house, an underground building in which snow was piled up in winter to keep food fresh throughout the year.
  • The water paths and fountains

Gembes

  • Notre-Dame Church: Neoclassical style (1877)
  • Village school: Neoclassical style, restored in 1988
  • The Pont des Gades: This pre-19th century bridge has three arches, the smallest of which is used for a race supplying Gembes Mill. The parapet is made of shale slabs placed vertically
  • Almache Valley: Very pretty wooded valley and its legendary locations
  • "Le Trou de l'Ermite" (the Hermit's Hole) and not far from there, the "Pont de l'Ermite" (the Hermit's Bridge): it seems this solitary holy man saved some inhabitants of the village from the plague.
  • "La Roche du Curé" (the Priest's Rock): Hiding-place for a priest during the French Revolution.

Haut-Fays

  • St. Remacle's Church: Neogothic style (1855)
  • Cemetery: Chapel housing the remains of seven members of the Villers-Masbourg family, the former lords of Sclassin, transferred there in 1855.
  • Statue of St. Agathe: The statue of St. Agathe, a Christian virgin tortured to death in 251, was transferred in 1957 from her chapel in the Gerhenne woods to the town square in Haut-Fays. She wears a white robe in summer and a dark blue one in winter following the Spanish custom. The style of the statue is similar to that of the Liège sculptor, Jean Del Cour, who died in 1707.
  • Hêtre Napoléon (Napoleon Beech): In Gerhenne wood. On 24 April 1810, two trees were planted to commemorate the wedding of Napoleon I and Marie-Louise of Austria. The beech which remains to this day has a trunk with a circumference of over 360 cm and dominates all the woods around.
  • Monument du Maquis (Resistance Monument): In the Rancenne Valley. Commemorative stele recalling the massacre of fourteen resistance fighters from Graide and Haut-Fays killed by the Germans on 1 September 1944 a few days before the liberation.

Porcheresse

  • Musée du Sabot (Clog Museum): Porcheresse was the third most important clogmaking village in Luxembourg Province. In 1982 it founded this museum in homage to these clogmakers. A video traces the clogmakers' work and the origin and development of clogmaking. It contains a collection of their tools and clogs of all shapes from the descendants of the Porcheresse clogmakers but also from other clog factories in the province. www.museedusabot.jimdo.com
  • Maisons du Comité (Committee Houses): These houses were built by the Germans in 1915 after the fire in the village (22/08/1914) and were intended to provide temporary accommodation for the disaster-stricken inhabitants. About twenty of them still exist and can be recognised by a stone engraved with C.S.A.L. 1915 (Comité de Secours et d'Alimentation du Luxembourg - Luxembourg Help and Supply Committee).  These small houses are in the process of being listed.
  • The Water Pump: This machine to raise water (19th century) was renovated thanks to the municipal authority, the Fondation Roi Baudoin and Qualité Village Wallonie. It is a relic of industrial archaeology and guided tours are available (by appointment on 061/51.12.42).

 

Document Actions
Météo

« Novembre 2019 »
Novembre
LuMaMeJeVeSaDi
123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930
Ce site est optimisé pour le navigateur Firefox.

Sécurisé, fiable et rapide, Firefox est gratuit et simple à installer.